Lisa Hermant: My Role as a Literacy Coordinator
Join Dr. Kathryn Garforth and Lisa Hermant a Literacy Coordinator as the speak about the #RightToRead and her role as a Literacy Coordinator.
Resources mentioned in this talk:
- Reading in the Brain by Stanislas Dehaene
- Carolyn Strom: Cortex in the Classroom
- Tools 4 Reading Sound Walls
- The Peachie Speechie
- The 44 Phonemes
- Equipped for Reading Success by Ph.D. David A. Kilpatrick
- David Kilpatrick & Orthographic Mapping
- Linea Ehri & Orthographic Mapping
- Phonics and Spelling Through Phoneme-Grapheme Mapping Book
- Tap It, Map It, Graph It
- University of Florida Literacy Institute
- Switch It – Reading Simplified
- Really Great Reading
- Base 10 Magnet Sets
- Campbell Creates Readers
- Guided Phonics & Beyond
- The Reading League Curriculum Evaluation Tool
- How to Plan Differentiated Reading Instruction, Second Edition: Resources for Grades K-3 by Sharon Walpole, and Michael C. McKenna
- Road to Reading: A Program for Preventing and Remediating Reading Difficulties by Benita Blachman Ph.D., and Darlene Tangel Ph.D.
- Decodable Texts
Dr. Kathryn Garforth, Ph.D.
Founder of Garforth Education and The Right To Read Initiative.
Garforth Education provides online courses and professional development for educators. Garforth Education provides support to families of neurodiverse individuals. Dr. Garforth helps them understand the diagnosis and needs of their child.
Dr. Kathryn Garforth is passionate about every child's #RightToRead. As a dyslexic and the parent of a dyslexic she has a personal connection to the struggles students face. Her teacher training program did not provide the training to teach children like her how to read. She's determined to spread awareness about best practices for teaching reading.
Lisa Hermant has taught grades 1 to 9 in the Cowichan Valley School District. Currently, she is on leave from her grade 1/2 classroom at Drinkwater Elementary. She is excited to be at Khowhemun Elementary as the School-Based Literacy Coordinator for a second year.
Facebook: Lisa Richmond Hermant