Lisa Hermant: My Journey to Science of Reading
Join Dr. Kathryn Garforth and Lisa Hermant a Literacy Coordinator as the speak about the #RightToRead and her journey to the Science of Reading.
Resources mentioned in this talk:
- Blended Sound Sight Program – Anna Ingham
- Right Track Reading
- Really Great Reading
- The Abc’s and All Their Tricks: The Complete Reference Book of Phonics and Spelling by Margaret M Bishop
- Uncovering the Logic of English: A Common-Sense Approach to Reading, Spelling, and Literacy by Denise Eide
- Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary and Spelling Instruction by Donald Bear, Marcia Invernizzi, Shane Templeton, & Francine Johnston
- Spelling for Life: Uncovering the Simplicity and Science of Spelling by Lyn Stone
Dr. Kathryn Garforth, Ph.D.
Founder of Garforth Education and The Right To Read Initiative.
Garforth Education provides online courses and professional development for educators. Garforth Education provides support to families of neurodiverse individuals. Dr. Garforth helps them understand the diagnosis and needs of their child.
Dr. Kathryn Garforth is passionate about every child's #RightToRead. As a dyslexic and the parent of a dyslexic she has a personal connection to the struggles students face. Her teacher training program did not provide the training to teach children like her how to read. She's determined to spread awareness about best practices for teaching reading.
Lisa Hermant has taught grades 1 to 9 in the Cowichan Valley School District. Currently, she is on leave from her grade 1/2 classroom at Drinkwater Elementary. She is excited to be at Khowhemun Elementary as the School-Based Literacy Coordinator for a second year.
Facebook: Lisa Richmond Hermant